I am a huge fan of Alfredo sauce, just not a huge fan of how unhealthy it is! I had been seeing recipes all over Pinterest for a healthier spin on Alfredo using cauliflower. I must admit, I was very skeptical of this idea. I just could not imagine it tasting any good. Boy, am I glad I was wrong. Since there are only 2 people in my apartment, I made plenty to freeze, and am looking forward to many delicious pasta meals in the future!
Luckily, you don’t really need too many ingredients. For the most part, you can “go by taste” as you make this. If you think it needs more garlic, add more garlic! More salt? Dash some on there. It is up to you, and doesn’t need to be scientific. Make it how you like!
- Cauliflower head
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Nutmeg to taste
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Chop the cauliflower.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil, and then put the cauliflower in.
- Add the garlic to the cauliflower and broth.
- Cook the cauliflower in the broth for 15-20 minutes over medium heat.
- Put the softened cauliflower and broth, with garlic mixed in, into the blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add olive oil and continue blending.
- Pour entire mixture back into pan on stove over medium heat.
- Add evaporated milk, stirring until completely combined.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to your liking!
- Enjoy over pasta!
This makes a fantastic dinner, but I would also recommend making some to freeze for a later date. Everyone has those nights when they need a quick meal. To reheat the sauce, it is a good idea to heat it over the stove with a little of the pasta water from whatever pasta you are making. Makes things seem a little fresher!
What delicious pasta dish would you use this sauce with?